Successful professionals plan ahead and succeed on purpose. They make a conscious effort to write down their career aspirations, goals and plans. These individuals know what they want and carefully work towards a specific goal. An essential tool that helps them to succeed on purpose is a career plan.
A career plan is a roadmap to career success, it details where you are, where you want to go and how to get there. A career plan should detail your vision, strategy, plan of action as well as your short term, medium term and long term career goals. An effective career plan is SMART – it is specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time based.
Supply chain is a very technical and specialised field, it requires hard work that is why you had to work hard to get to the position that you are in today. Therefore it is important to know where you are going with your supply chain career so that you can put in the necessary effort required to succeed on purpose. You career plan should be able to answer important questions related to your career, that is: What? Where? How? When? Why?
Your career plan should at least answer the following questions:
- Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
- What is your ideal job, occupation or place of employment?
- What would happen if you were to lose your job today? What would be your next move?
- How long do you plan to stay with your current employer? And why?
- What are your career goals for the year? How will you know that you have successfully achieved them?
The answers to these questions need to be clearly defined in your career plan. Your career has a large influence on how much you earn and what you need to learn. Your career is important therefore it warrants proper planning. Be proactive in how you approach your career – you will be proud of yourself later!
Be proactive about your career – don't be reactive
Never wait to be laid off or retrenched before planning the next step in your career. Leaving your career to chance can have negative consequences. Do not become too comfortable in your current position – actively seek opportunities to learn, grow, teach, volunteer and participate in activities in and outside your workplace.
Do you want to start planning your career but don't know where to start? Or are you out of touch with the job market? Here are a few things you can do to ease yourself into planning your career.
How to ease into planning your career
- Grow your network by interacting with peers and industry experts: social media is a great place to start. Ask mutual connections to introduce you to other industry experts or peers on LinkedIn.
- Conduct a career audit in order to find out where you are in the job market and how you measure up against candidates with the same background – this should help you identify your strengths and weaknesses. You could potentially uncover your competitive advantage, this is your selling point that sets you apart from the rest.
- Attend or seek opportunities to speak at industry events such as the annual SAPICS conference.
- Mentor an up and coming supply chain professional – mentorship is a great way to give back and to learn. There is a lot to be learnt from this mutually beneficial relationship – you will be pleasantly surprised how you can learn from positively shaping someone else's career.
- Do your research about specialist recruitment agencies such as Tech-Pro, which is a leader in supply chain recruitment. As a SAPICS Corporate Partner, Tech-Pro is always in touch with the latest trends in supply chain. Stay up to date with the latest trends by subscribing to our monthly newsletters or following us on LinkedIn. This will help you keep abreast of the hiring, talent and salary trends within the supply chain industry in South Africa.
- Remember, "Organisations do not hire people. People hire people" – people are a key ingredient in your career plan, be it peers, industry experts or a specialist recruiter.
Is finding a new job with a top employer one of your career goals for 2016? Have you outgrown and outperformed your current job? We can help. As a leader in supply chain recruitment, Tech-Pro has a wide variety of employers across various industries. Contact us or send us your CV and we will get back to you.