Transfreight defines logistics as the planning, execution, and control of the movement / placement of goods and / or people, and the related supporting activities, all within a system designed to achieve specific objectives.
Logistics means having the right thing, at the right place, at the right time.
Logistics and Supply Chain industry
"Logistics refers to activities within a single organization and supply chains refer to networks of companies that work together. Also, traditional logistics focuses on activities such as procurement, distribution and inventory management. Supply chain management also includes marketing, new product development, finance, and customer service" - from Essential of Supply Chain Management by Michael Hugos.
Workers in the logistics and supply chain management field ensure that goods and services get into the hands of consumers. The logistics industry is an important driver of economic growth and development. The demand for product and services is what keeps the industry afloat. From the manufacturing of products to manufacturing and distribution of the products, this process on its own creates opportunities for employment.
Senior Jobs in Logistics
- Industry Analyst - assess sector trends, size markets and prepare forecasts
- Project Manager – oversee and control company resource
- Operations Manager – create systems and processes that are involved in the output of goods and services
- Transportation Director - plan and coordinate freight and transport operations of all goods that go in and out of the business
- Logistics/Distribution Manager - organise storage and distribution of goods and also ensure the right products are delivered to the right location on time
There are also opportunities to work as a consultant. You can work with a variety of companies, both nationally and internationally, offering strategies and processes. As a consultant, your working hours are flexible and you are not limited.
Skills required for a logistics career
There are various skills required to have a successful career in logistics, namely;
- Data analytics - read and interpret information
- Communication skills - it is important to be able to communicate effectively, work well in teams and manage people
- Management skills – motivating, developing and leading your team as well as making sure that deadlines are met
- Technology savvy – be familiar with the latest software or apps that enable you to track your products and measure productivity
If you are looking to explore careers in the logistics and supply chain industry apply here!